Oral cancer is the sixth most fatal kind of cancer worldwide, with around 30,000 new cases each year. It is a rising concern among adults aged 40 and older, particularly smokers, users of smokeless tobacco, and drinkers. On the other hand, oral cancer is 83 percent curable when discovered and treated early.
The general oral cancer screening, which includes the mouth, head, and neck, can usually be done in less than five minutes. Our dentist will search for indications such as facial asymmetry, swelling or ulcerations on the face, swelling around the eyes, and an oral cavity examination.
Habits That can Increase Your Risk of Getting Oral Cancer
- Any tobacco usage includes cigarettes, cigars, pipes, chewing tobacco, and snuff.
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Previous diagnosis of oral cancer
- A history of prolonged exposure to the sun, which raises the chance of developing lip cancer
Oral cancer manifests as a constant growth or sore in the mouth. Oral cancers, including lips, tongue, cheeks, tongue floor, hard and soft palates, sinuses, and pharynx (throat), may be severe if not detected and treated immediately.
Common Signs of Oral Cancer
On the lips, gums, or other oral parts, swellings/thickenings, lumps or bumps, rough spots/crusts/or deteriorated areas.
- The appearance of areas of white, red, or speckled (white and red) skin in the mouth.
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Unusual numbness, lack of sensation, or pain/tenderness in any part of the face, mouth, or neck
- Persistent sores that bleed readily and do not heal within two weeks on the face, neck, or lips.
- An ache or the sensation of something being trapped in the back of the throat
- Difficulty swallowing or eating, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Hoarseness, persistent sore throat, or alteration invoice
- Adapting your teeth or dentures to a new fit
- Significant weight reduction
At Woodlawn Dental, we offer advanced oral cancer screening, and our dentist will examine your mouth for any oral cancer symptoms Additionally, our dentist will check the soft region of your throat (pharynx), which includes your tonsils, the rear half of your tongue, and the area where your tongue joins to the bottom of your mouth.
For more details and appointments, call us at (218) 236-1666, book online, and visit us directly at 320 2nd Avenue South, Moorhead, MN 56560.